Monday, June 7, 2010

Heist Society by Ally Carter- a review.

Heist Society, by Ally Carter
Disney-Hyperion, 2010, 9781423116394
Ally Carter's website
Agent Kristin Nelson’s website, blog

My oh my, Ally Carter has done it again. As I mentioned in a tweet a few weeks ago, I was able to inhale all of her Gallagher Girls series (so far!) and I am now happy to say that Heist Society followed suit- I was NOT disappointed!

Heist seems to open like a GG novel; the main character is an intelligent teenager with spy-like abilities, a notorious family, and is set in a boarding school- but this time, main character Katerina (called Kat) is a thief, seeking normalcy and a life away from the “family business.” But by the end of the very first chapter, you know that Kat’s school year will not go according to plan. She is unwillingly conned out of school by her handsome, REALLY rich best friend/borderline boyfriend Hale, who has rather grim news: a famous mobster’s high-security, practically invaluable art collection has been stolen, and Kat’s father is the only suspect on his list. The problem is that her father denies stealing the collection, and has an alibi to prove it. Kat believes her father, but the mobster does not, and he gives Kat a mere two weeks to return his paintings, or else. Kat is forced to take upon herself the task of stealing the paintings back, aided only by a unique teenage crew and belief of her father’s innocence.

I was able to vividly picture each character, and want to know them personally. Oh, to dream! There were several mysteries intertwined throughout the story that kept the pace up, although the plot was strong, and didn’t require them; thus each mystery was another topping on this really good-looking and good-tasting sundae of a book. Heist Society will leave you begging for more, at the end of each chapter, and at the end of the novel, with some questions answered, but more still lingering dangerously in the air. Thank goodness Carter is writing a sequel!
I give it five out of five espressos! 

1 comment:

  1. 1) I LOVE your blog :D Sooo cute/perfect :D The title is awesome.

    --and--

    2) Glad to hear Heist Society is good. I've been thinking about reading it. I love the Gallagher Girl series, and am really excited for the 4th one.

    ♥Cait

    ReplyDelete

You're commenting? I LOVE you! :)